Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Discovering Jonathan Edwards 1929

I'm very glad that Edwards' works are widely available now along with several excellent biographies:

"The necessity of constant study for the work of the ministry remained one of Dr Lloyd-Jones' deepest convictions and was one of the main features of his own daily living. Next to his Bible it was probably Jonathan Edwards' Works which provided the greatest stimulus to him at this date. While still in London he had asked a Welsh Presbyterian Minister for the name of books which would help him prepare for the ministry. One recommendation he received was Protestant Thought Before Kant, written by A.C. McGiffert. Although the book did not live up to his expectation, while reading it he came across the name of Jonathan Edwards for the first time. His interest aroused, Dr Lloyd-Jones relates: 'I then questioned my ministerial adviser on Edwards, but he knew nothing about him. After much searching I at length called at John Evans' bookshop in Cardiff in 1929, having time available as I waited for a train. There, down on my knees in my overcoat in a corner of the shop, I found the two volume 1834 edition of Edwards which I bought for five shillings. I devoured these volumes and literally just read and read them. It is certainly true that they helped me more than anything else.'"

Iain Murray, D. Martyn Lloyd Jones: The First Forty Years 1899-1939 (Edinburgh, 1982), 253-254.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home